Before I write about all the fun I’m having, here is an awesome song that Adin @theskycookie introduced me to. Enjoy…
Last Thursday, I got to attend my very first Comic Convention here in NYC and it was pretty ridiculously fantabulous. I went with @abram, Adin @theskycookie, and Douglas @douglasawesome. What I loved most was the abundance of super cool toys and books as well as how much @theskycookie and @douglasawesome were super stoked about being there. I also felt an overwhelming sense of nostalgia when Douglas and I bumped into the game, Sonic The Hedgehog, one of my all time favorite games growing up.
Agile Learning Facilitator (ALF) Weekend up in beautiful Chatham, NY, was such an amazing experience for me. I got to finally meet some of the other ALC Mosaic crew: Dean @dinospumoni and Dan @dthomasson. And then there’s @drew, who holds it down ever so effortlessly at ALC Everett. Since @nancy did such a beautiful job summing up ALF Weekend in her blog post, check THIS out to delve more into what we accomplished overall.
I came away feeling a deep sense of trust and loving connection in our ALF community. Words simply fail to describe how grateful I am to be playing and working with such inspirational individuals.
To reflect further back… Over a year ago, I found myself cultivating a team of dear friends at home on Oahu for my intention of creating a learning resource center. To me, my effort slowly and sadly fizzled out because I found myself struggling to push a group of people who would be PERFECT as resource people to commit to establishing something that I alone (in this context) had the fiery passion for. After letting go of holding so strongly to a narrow pathway of getting things done (I simply didn’t know what I was doing and now, this is much less so), I have been learning so much along the way. This includes but not at all limited to:
- communication tools
- my level of trust in specific individuals
- discernment among those who can help in what areas, in which ways, and in which phases of development
- getting clear on intentions of every individual who expresses an interest in helping me manifest this vision
- so much more about myself
In this journey so far, emphasis on my deep gratitude for having magically united with this freshly blossoming ALF family moves beyond the power of words. I’ve known since the start of my process about two years ago that I needed and desired a team of people aligned with my very personal passion for creating powerful spaces for young people to live, learn and thrive in. And so it is–I am among the badass wolf pack with a collective fire toward intentional co-creating and being the change here and now.
My favorite parts about ALF weekend was getting clear on my own intentions and making it known as well as hearing out the intentions and celebrating the strengths of everyone present. For this, we also got to learn about an awesome tool called Metamaps, to digitally organize ourselves much easier on many levels. Overall, I loved everything that came to the surface and although it was slightly overwhelming for me to take in and feel out new friends as well as situations which are seemingly inevitable within any community of purpose, I am incredibly grateful to have witnessed and played a part in the process of deepening trust, understanding and communication with new friends. My intentions coming into ALF weekend was to feel more connected to our ALC community and to laugh a lot.
ALF Weekend intentions: accomplished.
Up next: I will be working with…
- @tomis on more marketing stuff such as setting up a documentary screening of Race to Nowhere
- @abbyo, @charlotte, @nancy on implementing practices of safe emotional release exercises with kids (and amongst our ALF community as well). Also on creating some sort of check-in system with the intention of clear communication and support for ALFs around any extra-challenging situations that arise.
- @nancy, @bear, @tomis, @charlotte, @drew on creating a roadmap and support system for ALFs like me who desire to establish an ALC
- @tomis, @bear, @drew on establishing Hawaii’s first ALC (both off and on location) in good time
And this journey continues…